For every article, blog post, or advertisement for effective and healthy skincare, there is another one to disprove it! Is it just me, or am I the only one who witnesses the madness? I'd like to think I've deciphered the secret code to skincare, but even I feel lost. There are a few things I'm sure of however that others ought to be informed of and NEVER attempt to repeat. (In no particular order)
#1: Not washing off your makeup
I trust most everyone has heard this oh maybe...1 million times, correct? Amazingly enough, I still have friends who refuse to comply. Wake up Call:Sleep doesn't just restore our energy, it restores our skin. By skipping this step, your cheating your skin's natural process, clogging pores/enlarging pores, aging more quickly, and irritating your eyes.
Easy Fix: Makeup Wipes
With just a few quick swipes, it couldn't be easier.
#2: Not washing makeup brushes/Cell phone screen
Every 7-14 days, I wash my makeup brushes and cell screen. I hate having icky brushes, I find the brushes are so much softer afterward, and application becomes less streaky. Wake up Call: Bacteria accumulates each time the brush touches skin. Imagine using the same water to wash your face everyday...It's just as bad. Cell phone screens are also a major culprit in the same way.
Easy Way: Antibacterial Wipes
I use these when I know I don't have time to thoroughly cleanse my brushes or phone.
#3: Harsh AstringentsI love toner just as much as the next person, but my gosh, some of them are so so harsh. If your skin is squeaky clean afterwards, that's not something to brag about. Wake up Call: It's okay to use toner, but not for the purpose of stripping all oil from your face. When oil is completely removed, your skin goes into overdrive to replenish itself, and soon there is more oil than before.
Easy Fix: Go Natural
When my skin is way to dry, I trust this toner not to overdo it. Just make sure to moisturize after
#4: Skipping Sunscreen/SunglassesThe absolute easiest an cheapest way to set back aging and avoid risk of skin cancer is sunscreen. I recommend Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 75 or above. Wake up Call: Applying sunscreen is tedious and often uncomfortable, but when health enters the picture, there really is no excuse not to. Not only is cancer a risk, but overall immunity decreases.
Easy Fix: Choose a light formula that won't be unbearable
This is great in the deep of summer when I don't want anything heavy on my face
#5: Touching your face (especially tugging around the eyes)
I'm probably the biggest hypocrite when it comes to this one, always resting my chin or forehead on my hand, but I am trying to change! Wake up Call: Unless you wash your hands before touching anything but your skin, chances are they have loads of bacteria that enlarge your pores and irritate the skin. Tugging also occurs when using the hands, stretching your skin and wearing its natural elasticity. Wrinkles and acne, ahh!
Easy Fix: Blotting Papers
Okay, so its not really the same as resting your hand on your chin, but using these should really be the only reason you ever touch your face during the day. These are great for absorbing oil and helping make your makeup last. These are just as good as the rest, and at 1 dollar, you can' beat them.
#6: Forgetting to change pillowcasesMost of us don't sleep in one position every night, so all to often we put our face on a pillow where our hair has spread oil for hours at a time. Wake up Call: If you don't love the transfer of bacteria, sweat and dead skin particles from your hair to your face and your face to your hair, then pillowcases need to be washed every week.
Easy Fix: Rotate Pillows
If you find you don't have the time to wash pillows, either sleep on one side and flip, or keep a supply of fresh pillows and cases on rotation, and wash them together all at once when you've completed the rotation.Water is crucial in the skins process. Skin cells regenerate themselves with water. Going without reduces elasticity, and prevents harmful toxins from releasing themselves. Wake up Call: Drinking 64 ounces of water a day ensures skin receives proper hydration. Then again, it is very difficult to measure every ounce of water you drink, and there really is no point in drinking it all at once, because your body will only benefit to a certain point. The best way is to drink water throughout the day as often as possible before your body goes thirsty, and 64 ounces will seem like nothing.
Easy Fix: Bottles with Measurements
Monitor your water for about a week just to see how deficient you are, then ditch the bottle once you've figured out how much more often you need it, or, if you like knowing exactly how much you need every day continue using it. Nalgenes are pretty convenient not only for their measurements, but for skipping the BPA's disposable water bottles sometimes carry that are bad for you an the environment.







No comments:
Post a Comment